29.8.12

Portfolio of the Week: Anna Gawlak


Dear Readers,
It's a pleasure to be back after a hiatus! This week we feature a young self-taught Polish photographer, Anna Gawlak, from Krakow. Her analog photographic journey is relatively short, time-wise, but nevertheless, her talent is so obvious. She works in both 35 mm and medium format using her Canons T70, T90, AE1, and a Kiev 60.
By her own words: »I really don't know why I take a pictures. I suppose that is for me like a spinning a tale: spooling a film, snapping photographs, composing them... The narrative about calmness and naturalness. Calmness is more than lack of movement - I cannot stop searching it everywhere I am. Searching the naturalness means trying to pick out what is true and simple in the world - I cannot stop doing it.
But, first and foremost, my own story is about big, big love. I love the world: light, colour, contrast, symmetry, trees, tasty food, buildings, doors, feet, ankles, eyes. I love the human being. Everywhere I am - I cannot stop searching.
And all that makes the simple pleasures of life.
I like a film because I like learning new things. And learning to be patient belongs to them. 36 photos... it is very much!:) Besides, when I have to do 36 images I must be and I want to be more sensitive.«
It's just so good to hear over and over again how people get sentimental when using film, and Anna's position is also very philosophical, I think. I think also that her photos are very much zen-like, a celebration of simplicity in the best sense. Anna's work can be found on Flickr and Thumblr.









All photos copyright: Anna Gawlak

No comments:

Post a Comment