26.6.12

Cameras of yesteryear:Yashica Lynx 14E

alternative titles: How to get hooked on a 40-year-old Yashica OR It's never too late to get a good rangefinder-for cheap

I never considered myself a collectionist, although I have accumulated many cameras over the years. All of them have their own appeal, but it happens to like (and use) some cameras more than the others, regardless of camera construction or film format. I never had a particular interest in rangefinders, maybe because I never owned a really good one? Maybe. So I never really understood Leica aficionados despite knowing what their advantages are. So it happened, a few weeks ago, to get yet-another-film-camera gift from a coworker. An early 70's Yashica Lynx, possibly the oldest camera in my collection (or next to the Pola 210), and certainly older than me. It might be the fact that it's older than me, it might be due to its solid feel or its bright (and precise) rangefinder, its impressive (but fixed) 45 mm f/1.4 lens, or the combination thereof; I knew instantly it is a camera I want to test, keep and use. So I sent it for a CLA service.
Yashica Lynx 14E
But I still needed to know about its performance. Once I got the developed film back, I was hooked. The lens is a great performer. It easily matches or outperforms at least some of Canon prime lenses (although is prone to flare). Being left in a drawer for decades, this camera finally got a decent life. It deserves it. I just wonder how many of such mechanical marvels are still out there left. You can get one for little or no money, put it to service for a modest sum, and it will make wonders. My advice: don't bother if you cannot afford or just don't wanna spend a fortune on a high class rangefinder. Rescue some nice piece of optical engineering, get a bunch of good films, develop and get some quality scans. There will still be enough money left in your pocket for a good travel or vacation, a good excuse to use your "new" camera.
A closeup test shot on drugstore 400 ISO neg film. Sorry for the crappy scan, it doesn't render justice to the actual negative.
silver regards
Mitja

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that the ultimate resource regarding useful info, repairs and the replacement of (obsolete) mercury batteries for your Yashicas is probably the Yashica Guy.

1 comment:

  1. I use to have one of these in the late 70's :)

    ReplyDelete